Catron Opera House
From West Plains 1880-1930
Traveling a block south around the Court Square we cross West Main Street and come to the Johnson Opera House, built in 1892-93 by Thomas Johnson and Oliver Hazard Perry Catron. It featured retail stores on the first floor and had an “Opera House” or theatre on the second floor with a stage, orchestra pit, and balcony. Catron soon bought out Johnson’s share and renamed it the Catron Opera House.